About Me

I am a wife and mother. I have a son (W) who is ten and a daughter (E) who is 8. I have two bonus children: a stepson (N) who is 18 and a stepdaughter (A) who is 14. My bio children are educated at home while the bonuses go to regular school.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

To Crock or Not to Crock

For anyone who knows me, this is a common sight in my kitchen.



I am always running a crockpot. If we eat meat with bones in it, the bones get put in a crockpot with water and cooked on low or keep warm  for a day or two.  When it's done,  I can it  up and put it away.

I also render fat and make spaghetti sauce in a crockpot.  I use them to make the house smell nice with water and citrus fruit peels or essential oils.

But lately, I have to wonder how much energy are all these crockpots using.  Last year, I actually measured one. I forgot the numbers. It wasn't overly important because most of my crockpots are different sizes and brands.

Then I heard people discussing the Instapot. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up.  I like the idea behind it. I have my dad's old pressure cooker, but I am scared to use it due to its lack of a manual and age. (My dad passed on 9 years ago so I can't ask him.) Then it hit me: I could use the pressure canner to make the stock right in the jars.

The first time I tried this, I put a ham bone with fat in a half gallon jar and processed it for 25 minutes, the length I would process stock.  When it was done, it looked pale and didn't seal.  I tried it again, this time I processed it for an  hour; its color looked good.






Next I did pork stock made from pork chop bones.  In each jar I added some of the juice in the pan.  I did the same with chicken bones. All the stock has turned out with a nice color.










It does look less pretty due to the bones floating around in it, but I am enjoying having less ( some times no) crockpots plugged in and taking up a whole counter.

2 comments:

  1. My crock pot just broke. I thought it was impossible for these things to break. I'm pissed off because I just bought it last fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one crockpot fall right off the counter, like it jumped to it's death. Luckily, you can find them at second hand stores for a few dollars.

      Delete