About Me

I am a wife and mother. I have a son (W) who is ten and a daughter (E) who is 8. I have two bonus children: a stepson (N) who is 18 and a stepdaughter (A) who is 14. My bio children are educated at home while the bonuses go to regular school.

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Plastic Bags

Almost everyone I know has a stash of plastic bags some where in their home.  If you don't, I hope that is due to the fact that you simply don't use them and not because you just toss them in the trash.

When I shop, I try to remember to bring my reusable bags. I do on occasion forget.  Lately, when this happens, I ask for paper. If the store is really busy and they have already started bagging the groceries in plastic, I just take the plastic. I so use them in garbage cans for the house and in the car so I don't worry too much.

I really dislike throwing plastic bags in the garbage and our garbage removal company says not put them in the recycling container. So what does one do with all those other plastic bags that end up in your home? What does one do with all the ripped plastic bags?

I organize them, label, and store them in the basement stair well.
*I keep a big bag of plastic bags that have no rips and can be used as garbage bags.
*I keep a small bag of small plastic bags that are too small for the garbage but you never know when you need a small bag.
*I keep a bag of bags that have holes in them.  This bag also hold all the sandwich bags that are no longer usable. I simply cut off the seal and put them in with the other bags. When the bag is full (and I remember), I take them to the grocery store and recycle them there.
*I keep a bag of bags that intentionally has holes in it, like grape bags.
*I keep a bag of bags that are  resealable and meant to be disposable, like the kind of bags in which shredded cheese comes.  I have been trying to use these instead of buying more resealable bags. Does it really make sense to throw out the cheese bag and then buy sandwich or quart size bags? Not in my mind.
*I keep a bag of bread and bagel bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment