About Me

I am a wife and mother. I have a son (W) who is ten and a daughter (E) who is 8. I have two bonus children: a stepson (N) who is 18 and a stepdaughter (A) who is 14. My bio children are educated at home while the bonuses go to regular school.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Want to save money on cleaning supplies?  Read on.

When I was pregnant with my son, I loved the smell of cleaning agents. I would walk down the cleaning isles at the store for fun and smell  the different scents, especially the laundry detergent. What wonderful sounding names, "Mountain Breeze," " Lavender Fields," "Clean Linen," "Spring Rain."  They all sounded so beautiful, and they all smelled great.  

After my son was born, I started to think about all the chemicals in those cleaning agents. Did I really want all those unpronounceable concoctions near my new baby? No, I didn't. So I stopped buying them.  I  don't buy many cleaning supplies anymore.

For windows, I  use a bucket of soapy water and a rag. Some times, I use vinegar, but I don't like the smell.  Some essential oil can be added to the vinegar for a different scent.

For cleaning the bathroom or kitchen sink, I use a mixture of dish soap and baking soda.

For cleaning the hood above the stove, I again use baking soda.

For general dusting, I either use dish soap in a bucket of hot water or I substitute the dish soap for Murphy's Oil.  I have read that olive oil can substituted for Murphy's Oil, but I have never been happy with the results.

I do still buy dish soap and laundry detergent. I would like to make my own, but so I have not been happy with any of my results. (I use "soap" and "detergent" inter-changably even though I know better.)  For my dishes, I make sure the soap is not anti-bacterial. For laundry, I go for a scent free. I have been experimenting with essential oils, but so far I have not found a combination I like. I also keep a small bottle of bleach on hand for things that MUST be bleached.

For cutting boards, I wash them as usual then  I spray peroxide on them followed by a vinegar spray.

What does that leave me with? Dish and laundry detergent, bleach, vinegar, baking soda, and some Murphy's Oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment