About Me

I am a wife and mother. I have a son (W) who is ten and a daughter (E) who is 8. I have two bonus children: a stepson (N) who is 18 and a stepdaughter (A) who is 14. My bio children are educated at home while the bonuses go to regular school.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Breastmilk Lotion

I had been having some skin issues and mentioned it to a friend for whom I babysit. She jokingly said, "Too bad you still don't have any breastmilk."  She was referring to her breastmilk that I kept for her daughter.

I said, "Actually, I do." She thought it was odd that I kept the breastmilk after he daughter was weened, but she also knows I hate to get rid of things that have value. She suggested I use that. Why hadn't I thought of that? I don't know. It's very strange that I hadn't since I used my breastmilk while I was lactating on my dry skin.

So last night, I jumped on the internet and googled "breastmilk lotion."  I found a few recipes.  I had some ingredients from each recipe, but I never had fall the ingredients for any of them.  I compared them and made up my own recipe.

1/4 c. cocoa butter
6 oz. breast milk
1 T. safflower oil

Of course, I forgot to take pictures of the process. I generally don't take pictures of what I do so it taking some getting used to.

I thawed the breast milk. I cut off a chunk of cocoa butter and put it in a double boiler. I wanted 1/4 cup and didn't have enough in there. So I added more. I got what I wanted and added it to the milk. I used an immersion blender to mix them together and put it in the fridge. About an hour later, I checked it. I still had chunks of cocoa butter in it  making it not smooth. I added 1 T. of safflower oil and returned it to the fridge.

The first thing I did this morning was try it. It is very thin for a lotion especially a homemade lotion which are usually very thick and too heavy for my face.  This is perfect.  It smells like a delicious chocolate. I put some on my face. I love it. I love it. I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment