About Me

I am a wife and mother. I have a son (W) who is ten and a daughter (E) who is 8. I have two bonus children: a stepson (N) who is 18 and a stepdaughter (A) who is 14. My bio children are educated at home while the bonuses go to regular school.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Laundry Soap

I have read countless recipes for home made soaps of all kinds and have wanted to make soap for some time.  I was very nervous about using lye. I am very klutzy and worried I would get chemical burns or blind myself.

My first attempt at soap was a complete failure. I tried a crock pot recipe and nothing happened. 

On my second attempt, I actually made soap. Granted, I don't like it, but I made soap. I made it so long ago, I don't remember the recipe I used.  It doesn't matter since I don't like. I think I used beef tallow as the fat. I added no scent, but it has a mild scent. It's pretty soft, too soft to grate. 

For over a year, I have looked at this soap wondering what to do with it.  Finally I got the idea to make my own laundry soap out of it.  Google to the rescue again!  Compare and contrast. Compare and contrast. Once again, I decided to make my own recipe. 

I chopped up some soap and weighed it, 8.7 0z, 247 g. 



I added it to  a pot.


I added two quarts of water, heated it up, and stirred. 

Once the soap dissolved, I didn't like the texture. It was too thin. Chop chop chop.  Weigh, 6.1 oz./173 g. Add. Mix. Wait.  This time I walked away too long and it boiled. 




While I was away, I got a 5 gallon bucket and scrubbed it out. I filled it about 30-40% full with hot water,  added a box of borax, and mixed it all up. I poured the soap-water mixture into the bucket and stirred again.  Hopefully, this works. I will report back once I do laundry. 







No comments:

Post a Comment