About Me

I am a wife and mother. I have a son (W) who is ten and a daughter (E) who is 8. I have two bonus children: a stepson (N) who is 18 and a stepdaughter (A) who is 14. My bio children are educated at home while the bonuses go to regular school.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Fish Stock

Once of the many things I make and can is fish stock. I had been making it for a few years before I read a few cook books that have recipes for fish stock.  Although I don't add any spices or herbs to it, I felt pretty fancy for figuring out a recipe on my own.

Start with fresh fish. These happen to be crappies caught today by J.


Fillet them and they will look like this.


Remove the guts. If  you have birds, cats, or dogs, they will enjoy the treats. Other animals probably will too, but we have birds and cats. Also, I suppose you could save the livers to make pate, but they are so tiny, it would take too long to get enough to make it. But if you happen to have a lot of fresh foods (say, if you are on a very successful fish trip), it might be worth it. 

Take this whole part and either boil it now or put in a bag.  To that bag, add the skins and ribs. 



Put the bag in the freezer until you have enough to make stock. I usually use an old tortilla bag (I have never made a good home made tortilla); when it's full I put the scrap in a spaghetti pot. Fill it with water and boil. I tend to boil it for at least an hour. Strain it. Use it immediately, freeze it, or can it. I can it and use it to make fish chowder. 

To be honest, this will make your house stink. If you can make it outside, I highly recommend it.  I don't have an out door kitchen; so I usually make apology brownies when it's all done. 

Fillets. 


Cook, freeze, or can the fillets. 




No comments:

Post a Comment